In the Beginning
Way back in 1948, James Francis Walsh, an entrepreneur from Roscrea, Co. Tipperary, decided there was a need for a printing service in the town. He established Walsh Printers Roscrea just off the main street (where it remains today, run by James’s son Desmond).
The printing business provided flyers, books and leaflets for the local community and businesses however there was no local packaging supplier. James saw this and decided to invest in two machines which made paper bags. As demand grew, more machines were added and the people of Tipperary had beautiful paper packaging. At that time, Ireland’s transport system was not as developed as it is today and it was very difficult to reach customers outside of the local area. James decided that the business needed a presence in Dublin.